Wednesday 16 July 2008

Uluru and Kata Tjuta

We have just come back in from our two day tour of Uluru (ayers rock) and the national park in which it sits. We left early yesterday morning and got to see the sunrise whilst we were on our 5 hour drive to the park. The colours were amazing. In fact, this whole tour has been all about colour, I feel my eyes have had sensory overload. Firstly, once the sun is up the colour of the green trees against the bright red sand and the pale bark of the gum trees. The sky awakening through a prism of pinks to blues to yellow.
We made a couple of stops for refreshements which was well needed - the mornings are so so cold, I am starting to wonder whether I will see any proper sun here and whether I will come back with a tan. We saw dingos, kangeroos and emu's at a farm along with camels.
We got to our campsite at lunch and all prepared lunch together, we then headed over to the Olgas and Valley of the Winds for a stroll around the red rocks, the views of Uluru teasing us in the distance. We headed out to watch the sun set around 5.30pm to the view spot and watched as the sun disappeared highlighting the rock in pinks and oranges. It all happens so fast when you are watching and waiting. Once the first few stars came out we headed bback to camp for a BBQ, we lit the campfire and sang a few songs and toasted marshmallows (I am known as a pro at this!) We had the opportunity to sleep under the stars, which Em did, but with a thick cold, I thought it best that I get some warmth - well, some level of warmth - it was still freezing.\
We woke this morning at 5.30am, and I took a moment to watch the sky - so many stars, I could almost see the dust particles. I saw a few shooting starts too and made out some of the constellations - truly beautiful - I won't forget that night sky.



We then headed out for the sunrise, which I was left a little disappointed with. I hoped for more; there were lots and lots of people and noise - I wanted to be alone to watch the rock come alive in the sunlight. Again the sky wwas layered with powder blue and baby pink colours, something quite magical. I hope my photos have captured the colours well enough.
Once the sun was up we went for a walk around the base of the rock, I found the rock strangely eerie, a odd vibe to it, some strange looking features, but the colours were vibrant and the rock looked like it had scales or bark.
I am not sure how I feel about the tour, I expected more, I wanted more. Maybe it is because I am not feeling well and I am tired.

I think I will try to write about it again once I have my photos and I have my brain back. I do feel inspired to write about it and the artwork of the Aboriginals. Until next time... we fly to Brisbane tomorrow and hopefully to the sun.

No comments: