Monday 21 July 2008

Brisbane & Koalas

We arrived in Brisbane, or BrisVegas as it is known on Thursday evening after a day of flying from Alice Springs to Sydney and then to Brisbane. I can't imagine how many miles we have covered, if I am not sat on a plane, I am on a bus or a train.
Brisbane is full of backpackers and mostly English ones which made a change. So many stories and dreams being fulfilled.
On Friday we went to the Lone pine Koala sanctuary and oh my goodness, how sweet are they. I imagined that we would be looking at them from afar, but they were all on the other side of a small wall, we could have reached out and touched them. They looked so snuggley and happy, I have many many photos - there were simply too many to ignore. We paid to have hug with one also - we had to hold out our hands and let the Koala sit on them whilst his arms held onto our shoulders, he seemed happy enough munching on his eucalyptus (?) We then found my favourites - the wombats, they are beyond adorableness, so big and clunky, fat and hairy. So so so so cute. After having a disturbing lunch (the picnic area was surrounded with turkeys that kept coming too close and trying to eat my soup!) we bought som 'roo food and went into the paddock to feed the kangaroos - they were very tame and happy to eat off our hands, I felt sorry for the little duck with the bad leg who despite not being able to walk, insisted on following people with food around.
We had so much fun looking at the animals and the Lorikeets (beautiful bright coloured birds), Australia really does have some cute animals. I wasn't able to smuggle a wombie out though.

In the evening we stopped for dinner in an Irish pub before heading back to the hostel and it's lively bar for some more beer and a boogie.

No comments: